Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Bachelor's Jam

I first read about Bachelor's Jam back in the winter in this article from the NY Times and was captivated. It combines two of my favorite things: preserving fruit and drinking booze. I didn't think I'd get around to it until I lost my ever-loving mind and did Target supermarket-sweep style visited the kitchen section in Target tonight and made some carefully considered purchases.

In addition to some pint canning jars (because I have used every single Ball jar I own plus all the glass jars I can scavenge from salsa and pasta sauce without actually managing to do any canning) I picked up a one-gallon glass jar for bachelor's jam. It was about $8.00, so not an extravagant investment. And I figure if I don't make bachelor's jam every year of my life (for some reason) it will look really nice with cookies or something in it.



No matter what recipe I look at, they seem to be pretty much the same, probably because they all refer to the NY Times article.

I ended up buying vodka because reasonably good vodka was cheaper than reasonably good rum. I had two nectarines I wanted to rescue before I leave on vacation, so I peeled and chopped them, tossed them in the jar, covered them with about 1/3 cup of sugar and poured vodka over the whole mess. I put it in a dark cabinet and I hope I will remember it when I am at the grocery store and pick up some berries. Mmmm boozy berries.



I'm thinking it will be ready in time for the Christmas party, or maybe for New Year's.

No comments:

Post a Comment